Hong Kong: 3 days
Hong Kong, with its blend of traditional Chinese, colonial British and international flavour is a destination like no other. Many foodies consider it a paradise, the shopping is fantastic, the skyline incredible and combined with lush hills, there is something for everyone. This tour makes a great short holiday on its own or you can add it as a stop over to a longer holiday. If you would like to stay on longer we can arrange this for you too.
Travelbay tip: Add this package on to any one of our China tours.
This is a private tour with your own personal driver, English speaking guide and private air-conditioned vehicle.
Travelbay Private Tours are set up to provide you with the best possible experience at your own pace. We can cater for any size group but it will only be YOUR group and we will provide a suitably sized vehicle. You can select any date of your choice (with very few exclusions and please give us 30 days notice).
Hotel rates vary depending on the time of year so we are unable to give a fixed quote. Please contact us for a price and we will give you a personal quote for your selected dates. As an indication, prices start at around $900 per person twin share for 3 Star accommodation and $980 for 4 Star accommodation. Upon acceptance of the quote and confirmation of your dates we will provide you with an invoice.
Day 1: Arrival in Hong Kong - temples, gardens and markets
Upon your arrival at Hong Kong airport, your local guide will meet you and escort you to your hotel.
After resting for a while the tour begins with a visit to one of the most famous temples in Hong Kong - Wong Tai Sin. With its vibrant colours and ornate design the temple is where many worshipers come and pray for good luck, to discover their fortunes or simply admire its beauty.
Then take a stroll round the classically designed Nan Lian Garden, a tranquil sanctuary in the city built in the Tang Dynasty.
Discover one of the best local markets in Kowloon, the Bird Market. A narrow alley filled with shops selling a large variety of birds from songbirds to exotic birds, cages and live bugs - a market full of local flavour.
Overnight in Hong Kong: Metropark Hotel Kowloon.
The same hotel is used for both the 3 and 4 Star option and different types of rooms will be used for each. The Metropark Hotel Kowloon is classed as a 4 Star Hotel.
Day 2: The delights of Hong Kong Island
Today explore the sights of Hong Kong Island. You will be met at your hotel and taken by car to the pier where you will catch the charming historic Star Ferry from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island (around 10 minutes). Enjoy the view of the city from your private car - you will pass by the Garden of Stars, 1881 Heritage, the unique egg-shaped Hong Kong Space Museum, Clock Tower and the Culture Centre.
Once reaching the Island there is a gentle walking tour (2-4 hours depending on your preference) along Garden Road. A walk down Garden Road is like stepping back into colonial Hong Kong. Pass by many of the historical buildings.
In the afternoon visit Victoria Peak with it's stunning bird's eye view of the surrounding city skyline. With panoramic views, The Peak as it is commonly referred to, is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Hong Kong and is a great place to take photos!
Later in the afternoon discover the quaint and charming floating village of Aberdeen. With rows of old fashioned junks and sampans and fishermen at work it is a stark contrast to the nearby city scape (Please note, the tour does not include the price of the Sampan ride - approximately AUD12 per person).
Finish the day with a little shopping at the Stanley Market, a street market and warren of lanes with an array of shops - a great place for outlet clothing as well as silks, art and souvenirs.
Overnight in Hong Kong: Metropark Hotel Kowloon
Day 3: Time for home or onto your next adventure
Today you are free at your leisure until you will be taken to the airport for your departure flight. It's time to say goodbye to Hong Kong or hello to your next adventure!
* Notes on shopping: Your tour guide may offer you shopping opportunities, but if you do not wish to shop, please do not hesitate to tell your guides directly. In the shops, there is no need to feel obliged to buy anything.
* All accommodation and hotels are subject to change. If the stated hotel is not available a hotel of a similar standard and location will be booked.
- 3 day tour of Hong Kong - with its own heritage and culture, Hong Kong is unique.
- 2 nights' accommodation.
- Star Ferry trip from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island - the traditional way to get about.
- All transportation throughout the tour in a private vehicle - air conditioned with a personal driver.
- English speaking guide.
- Entrance and sightseeing fees as stated in the itinerary.
- Visit the vibrant and colourful Wong Tai Sin Temple - one of the most famous temples in Hong Kong.
- Explore Nan Lian Garden – a classical Chinese garden built during the Tang Dynasty and considered one of the most beautiful places in Hong Kong.
- Discover local life at the Bird Market - a phenomenon of Hong Kong.
- Take a trip from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island on the charming and historical Star Ferry.
- Explore Hong Kong Island including a wander through the colonial architecture on Garden Road and take in the panoramic vista of the city from Victoria Peak.
- Visit the floating village of Aberdeen, a traditional fishing village with junks, sampans and great photo opportunities.
- Grab a bargain at the popular Stanley Markets.
How to get there:
This tour starts and ends in Hong Kong.
Travelbay works together with an excellent corporate flight booking company and is happy to provide you with a quote and organise your flights. We charge a $50 booking fee for this service. Alternatively, if you would like to arrange flights yourself you can find more information and suggestions here.
If you are wanting to know more about how far it is between destinations and how long your flight will take, you can visit www.travelmath.com and use their trip calculator.
To help you calculate the time difference we recommend World Time Buddy.
Many nationals whose passports have at least 6 months validity can enter Hong Kong for a period of 7 days up to 3 months without a visa. Nationals of Australia, New Zealand, US, Europe and Canada do not require a visa to enter Hong Kong for stays of 90 days, 180 days for UK nationals. However please check whether you need a visa if you are intending to stay longer.
If you are visiting other parts of China, you will need a Chinese visa.
Tipping and tour guides:
A few customers have asked us about tipping and so we provide the following information for you as a guide only.
Many tour guides and drivers in China rely on tips as part of their wages. In saying this, tipping always comes down to the service you have received and is a personal matter.
The following amounts can be used as a rule of thumb and are per person as you feel:
- For a local tour guide in a small group of 2-4 people: USD8-12 per day
- For a driver in a small group of 2-4 people: USD4-6 per day
- For hotel bellboys: USD2-3 dollars per day
If your group is larger, the amount each person tips the guide or driver may decrease.
Generally you will have the same guide for the duration of your stay in each city/location and you can then give an accumulated tip at the end of your time in that city. For example, for 3 nights and 2 days in Beijing for a group of 2 people, at the end of your time in Beijing you might tip the guide USD50.
The driver does not always remain the same for each location and so you may prefer to tip them daily or check with your guide as to whether you will have the same driver the next day.
If you love your guide you can of course offer more – it really is up to you.
We do realise that tipping is quite high for China and adds to the cost of your holiday. Generally speaking for a 10 Day Holiday you could budget to spend around USD150 on tipping.
Tour guides will not generally join you when eating – you are welcome to invite them though if you feel to.
The currency used in Hong Kong is the Hong kong dollar.
What currency to take over there is a personal choice. Some people prefer to take US$ cash as a backup whilst others prefer to take AUD$ cash – it depends on what you are comfortable with. There are ATM machines available and you should let your bank know that you will be using your card over there to avoid them freezing any 'suspicious' activity.
Travelbay recommends you check with your doctor as to any immunisations that you may require or that are recommended for your travels. Alternatively, you can visit The Travel Doctor or Travelvax for more information.
Hong Kong has a subtropical climate with mild, dry winters and hot humid and wet summers.
Dry season: Mid-December to February with January being the driest month.
Wet season: May to September, with August being the wettest month.
Temperature: In the warmer months of late May to September the temperatures average 28°C and can reach 33°C. In the cool months of mid- December to February the temperatures can fall to 10°C.
Best time to visit: October to December when the weather is sunny and cool. But essentially, it is a year round destination.
Population: 7.4 billion and growing.
Language: Cantonese (a minority dialect of Mainland China) is spoken by over 85% of people in Hong Kong. Chinese and English are the official languages of Hong Kong.
Predominant religion: Hong Kong is a multi-religious country with Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism all forming part of the religious milieu of China.
Some interesting facts:
The name "Hong Kong" translates from Cantonese as "Fragrant Harbour". The name stems from it being the centre of the incense time at the time the British first set foot there.
Hong Kong is the world's most densely populated city. Over 7 million people inhabit a land mass of 1,104 square kilometres.
Despite ranking number one in the world for the most skyscrapers, over three quarters of Hong Kong is rural - parks, scenic hills, woodlands and reservoirs.
Hong Kong became an English colony in 1841 during the first Opium War. In 1997 it was handed back to China but remained autonomous as a special administrative region meaning it has different rights and privileges and could maintain it's free-market economy.
Add this tour on to any one of our China tour packages:
Terms & Conditions
Hotel rates vary depending on the time of year so we are unable to give a fixed quote. Please contact us for a price and we will give you a personal quote for your selected dates.
As an indication, prices start at around $900 per person twin share for 3 Star accommodation and $980 for 4 Star accommodation.
Upon acceptance of the quote and confirmation of your dates we will provide you with an invoice.
We will request further information from you to ensure that all your personal preferences are taken care of. This will include details such as your accommodation preferences, dietary requests, allergies, health issues, emergency contact and any special requirements. We will also request copies of the passport for each traveller so that we can organise and book the flights included in the price of this tour.
It is important to note your dates are only confirmed once we have been in touch with you to confirm availability. Therefore, please wait on purchasing your international flights until you have received a booking confirmation from us. In the unlikely event that there is no availability on your chosen date we will offer you alternate dates. If these do not suit we will fully refund your payment.
- Quoted prices are per person.
- Booking valid for selected and booked travel dates.
- Please book at least 30 days prior to your desired date of travel.
- Bookings are subject to availability.
- Child pricing:
- For children under age 12 please contact us for a quote as it will depend on the size of your group.
- For children 12 and over: adult pricing
- Maximum room capacity of 3.
- If you would like to arrive before the start of tour or leave later and require extra nights’ accommodation, please contact us and we can arrange it for you.
- If you have any other special requests including having a quote for a custom tour please let us know as we can make arrangements.
- Prior to completion of your booking we take great care to go through all the details together with you until we get everything exactly as you would like it. At that point we confirm your booking and the details and you pay for it. If after payment, you decide to make further changes we will do what we can to accommodate them and will also need to charge an additional $50 administration fee.
- 2 nights' accommodation.
- Check-in & check-out time: generally, check in is after 2 pm and check out before 12 pm. Early check-in and late check-out are subject to room availability and may generate additional full day room rate.
- Personal driver and private car.
- Free WIFI available in the hotels.
- English speaking guide.
- Entrance and sightseeing fees as stated in the itinerary.
- All airport transfers.
- All transport as per itinerary.
- Taxes and service fees.
- International airfares to and from Hong Kong.
- Meals not outlined in the itinerary.
- Drinks for all meals.
- Sampan boat ride in Aberdeen Fishing village.
- Tips and gratuities.
- Personal expenses such as telephone, laundry etc.
- Excess baggage charges.
- Travel insurance.
- Airport VIP assistance.
- Optional activities and attractions as stated in the itinerary.
- Others not indicated in the inclusions.
General Terms & Conditions:
- Your contract with Travelbay commences upon us providing you with a booking confirmation (not upon payment).
- By purchasing this tour you confirm that you have read, understood and agree to these terms and conditions.
- All prices we list are in AUD unless otherwise stated and include GST where payable.
- This package, including any unused portion, cannot be exchanged for other services or cash.
- Some accommodation providers may require that you present a credit card or cash deposit upon check-in to cover any additional expenses that may be incurred during your stay, for example mini-bar. You are responsible for the payment of any such additional expenses.
- Please check baggage allowance prior to travel. The allowance may vary according to the destination, airline, cruise or coach operator. You are responsible for any excess baggage fees.
- Travelbay recommends travel insurance. We would be pleased to provide you with a quote and support you in your insurance needs. Please click here or contact us on 1800 020 020.
- It is your responsibility to ensure you have a valid visa, if required. Please click here for more information on visa requirements.
- Passport and visa regulations can change and it is your responsibility to ensure that you possess the relevant travel documents before you travel. Delays can be experienced in obtaining a passport or visa, so you are advised to apply in plenty of time. We accept no responsibility in any regard in relation to customers who are denied entry to a country because they do not possess the correct travel documents.
- It is also your responsibility to ensure that you hold a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond your date of return. If you hold multiple passports, you may be required to present your passport of residence on departing that country. If you hold a passport for a country to which you are travelling, you may be obliged to produce that passport on entering the country. Accordingly, you could be obliged to carry more than one passport when travelling overseas. You should make your own enquiries in relation to your specific circumstances and requirements.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that all your details are recorded correctly. Any request for a name change after documents have been issued may incur amendment fees or result in the original booking being cancelled and in the case of airlines, the loss of a seat.
- When purchasing flights, cruises and other carriage and travel services, the name on the passport must match the name on the ticket otherwise you may not be able to travel and insurance may be invalid. If, after purchasing products or services but before travelling, any member of your party changes their name you must notify the relevant carrier, or us, immediately so that the necessary changes can be made to your documentation. You may incur a fee.
- Travelbay recommends you check with your doctor as to any immunisations that you may require or that are recommended for your travels. Alternatively, you can visit The Travel Doctor or Travelvax for more information. For those of you who have any medical conditions please also ensure you are fit to travel and have all the medication you need with you. Recommended inoculations for travel may change and you should consult your doctor for current recommendations before you depart. It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet all health entry requirements, obtain recommended inoculations, take all recommended medication, and follow all medical advice in relation to your trip.
- Many but not all suppliers have facilities for people who require assistance. If you have any disabilities or require special assistance, please let us know at the time of booking so we can check if suitable services are available.
- It is your responsibility to review travel prohibitions, warnings, announcements and advisories issued by the relevant government agencies prior to booking travel or departing to international destinations. For Australian travellers, information on conditions in various countries and the level of risk associated with travel to particular international destinations can be found on the Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service website currently located at http://www.smarttraveller.gov.au. For travellers from other countries we recommend you check the travel recommendations of your country.
- By offering reservations for travel-related products or services in relation to particular international destinations, Travelbay does not represent or warrant that travel to such points is advisable or without risk, and Travelbay is not liable for damages or losses that may result from travel to such destinations.
- Travelbay sells tours on behalf of other Suppliers/Tour Operators. We rely on the relevant third party suppliers. Travelbay and the airlines, hotels and other Suppliers providing Services made available on or through this Website are independent parties and are not related parties. To the fullest extent permitted by law, Travelbay is not liable for the acts, errors, omissions, representations, warranties, breaches or negligence of any such Suppliers or for any personal injuries, death, property damage, or other damages or expenses resulting therefrom.
- Whilst we take great care to provide clear and accurate information, there may be occasions where there are inaccuracies or errors. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Travelbay does not guarantee the accuracy of, and disclaims liability for, any errors or other inaccuracies relating to the information, descriptions and activities displayed on this website and in our promotional material.
- All accommodation and hotels are subject to change. If the stated hotel is not available a hotel of a similar standard and location will be booked.
- Hotel ratings displayed on this Website and in our promotional material are intended only as general guidelines, and Travelbay does not guarantee the accuracy of the ratings. Hotel room images are representative only and the actual room occupied may vary in inclusions and décor.
- In some circumstances, some specific products or services as contained on this website and promotional material may not be available due to circumstance beyond our control. In that situation, we will do our best to provide replacement products and / or services of a comparable nature and quality. Travelbay and our respective Suppliers make no guarantees about the availability of specific products and services.
- Subject to relevant laws, if Travelbay merges, sells or otherwise changes control of our business or this Website, we reserve the right, without giving notice or seeking consent, to transfer or assign your Personal Information, content and rights that we have collected from you and any agreements we have made with you.
- Travelbay reserves all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyright in material and/or services provided by us.
If you have any questions please email us 24/7 or call us Monday to Friday on 1800 020 020 to speak with one of our friendly team.
You can start this holiday on any date, pending availability
Please contact us to book