* Please click here to read our payment terms
** Prices subject to change
Hanoi to Sapa in the Lao Cai Province: 3 days
Travelbay Tip: Choose any date and add this delight to any of our other Vietnam tours.
Sapa is the picturesque town in the mountainous Northwest region of Vietnam. Lying close to the Chinese border, Sapa is known for its sweeping valley views and terraced rice fields. The landscape is truly spectacular and the hill tribes friendly, welcoming and magnificently colourful.
The planned walking on this tour is for 3 hours each day and is considered easy trekking. We can adjust the length of the walk to make it either less or more depending on your preference. We can be quite flexible with this and you can plan in advance, or when you are in Sapa you can discuss this with your guide.
This is a Small Group Tour with your own guide, driver and a maximum of 10 people (often less). If you would like to make this tour a Private Tour, please contact us for a quote. We also offer Tailor Made Tours to Vietnam.
You are free to choose any date to commence this holiday - please book at least 30 days in advance. If you would like to go earlier, please contact us as it may be possible.
Please note: This tour begins with an overnight train ride. The train departs from Hanoi at 21:40 or 22:00. If you are arriving in Hanoi on an international flight you may want to consider having an extra night and taking the train the next night to avoid an international flight followed by a train ride.
It is of course entirely up to you which option you choose. If you would like an extra night we can arrange it for you.
If you would like to spend a little longer in Sapa, please let us know as this can be easily arranged. There is also the option to stay at a homestay. Please contact us for more information.
Overnight Train: King Express - Shared cabin (3 Star); Chapa Express Train - shared cabin (4 and 5 Star).
The cabins have 4 berths per cabin. If you would like to book the entire cabin, making it a private cabin, please let us know and we will get a quote for you to cover the cost of the extra berths.
Find out what our customers have to say: Vietnam Customer Reviews and Photos
Day 1: Arrival in Lao Cai, picturesque landscapes and colourful hill tribes
Take the overnight train from Hanoi (see the MORE INFO tab for more information on the train) and arrive early morning at Lao Cai station. The train is the best way to get to Sapa as the road is known for its bumps. The train has full amenities such as air-conditioning and comfortable beds. You will be picked up by a local guide and taken on a scenic one-hour drive up to the hill station of Sapa.
From there you can take a short 30-minute journey South toward Muong Hoa Valley, a stunning place boasting the largest terraced rice fields in Sapa. If your visit is between May and October, the local harvest period, you will have a chance to see the local farmers in action. It is a nice chance to take in the scenery and a great photo opportunity. The walk takes you from Lao Chai Village of the Black H'mong Minority to the Ta Van Village of the Giay Minority with a stop at the local Catholic Church, taking in the different traditions, cultures and costumes of the two minority groups.
After that, you will return to Sapa and you can spend the rest of your afternoon at your leisure.
Overnight Day 1: Sunny Mountain Hotel - Deluxe room (3 Star), Sapa Legend Hotel - Superior room (4 Star), Victoria Sapa Resort - Superior room (5 Star).
Meals included: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 2: Explore the spectacular charm of Sapa
After breakfast, you will check out of the hotel and depart towards Tram Ton Pass. Along the way, take a short walk to Silver Waterfall and head to Heaven’s Gate, where you can see Fansipan Mountain – the highest peak in Indochina. A one and a half hour downhill ride to Binh Lu includes a stop at Chu Va Village of the Flower H'mong tribe. Enjoy a packed lunch on the way. Trek to Pa Pen Village of the Lu Minority where you can talk with the locals and visit the local school (closed on weekends). Return to the hotel where you can freshen up before transferring to Lao Cai station to board the train back to Hanoi.
Overnight Train: King Express - Shared cabin (3 Star); Chapa Express Train - shared cabin (4 and 5 Star)
Meals included: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 3: Arrival back in Hanoi
The train arrives early morning at the Hanoi train station. You will be collected from the station and transferred to your hotel in Hanoi.
Check in time is 2pm for the hotels in Hanoi. Please let us know if you would like an early check in (9am) and we can give you a quote. Or you are welcome to leave your bags at the hotel while you spend the day at leisure and check in after 2pm.
* All accommodation and hotels are subject to change. If the stated hotel is not available a hotel of a similar standard and location will be booked.
Combine this tour with one of our other Vietnam tours:
- 3 day tour of Sapa exploring the picturesque beauty and colourful hill tribes.
- 3 nights' accommodation - 1 night in Sapa and 2 nights on the overnight train.
- 6 meals included in the package.
- Return overnight train from Hanoi to Lao Cai Station.
- All transfers – You will be taken to the train station in Hanoi, collected in Lao Cai on arrival, all transport throughout your time in Sapa and again you will be met at the station in Hanoi and transferred to your hotel in Hanoi.
- Air conditioned mini van for all overland transport.
- English speaking guide.
- Entrance and sightseeing fees as stated in the itinerary.
- The opportunity to explore the scenic beauty of Sapa and the Muong Hoa Valley.
- A guided walk from Lao Chai Village of the Black H'mong hill tribe to the Ta Van Village of the Giay hill tribe.
- Visit the Silver Waterfall and see the impressive Fansipan mountain, the highest in Indochina.
- Get to know the locals after a trek to Pa Pen Village of the Lu Minority.
How to get there:
This tour begins and ends in Hanoi. You will take the overnight train from Hanoi to Lao Cai and arrive on the morning of Day 1 in Lao Cai. Return to Hanoi on the overnight train on the night of Day 2, arriving in Hanoi on the morning of Day 3.
The King Express is the train we prefer to use for the 3 Star option. It departs from Hanoi at either 21:40pm or 22:00pm and arrives in Lao Cai at either 05:40am or 06:10am. On arrival you will be met at the train station.
For the return journey, the train departs from Lao Cai at either 19:35pm or 21:05pm and arrives in Hanoi at 04:10am or 05:20am.
You will be booked in a soft, 4 berth cabin. If you prefer to have the cabin to yourself you can pay an additional USD40 per berth per way.
The Chapa Express is the train used for the 4 and 5 Star options. In operation since June 2014, it is one of the newest trains in Vietnam. The compact cabins are equipped with air-conditioning, reading lights, comfortable beds and Sapa-inspired décor. The cabins are shared deluxe 4-berth cabins. You can upgrade to a 2 berth cabin or a VIP cabin (subject to availability - please ask us for a quote.
High-speed internet, restrooms, toiletries and hot/cold water are available on board for your convenience. Welcome drinks, snacks (biscuits or fresh fruits) and hot/cold towels are provided and the professional and multilingual train staff are on hand to assist you throughout the journey.
All Chapa Express Train guests have access to the Chapa Lounge in Lao Cai with shower facilities, food and beverages and complimentary Wi-Fi.
To help you calculate the time difference we recommend World Time Buddy.
Most nationalities require a visa when travelling to Vietnam. You need to apply for and receive your visa before you leave Australia. This can be done up to 6 months in advance.
To apply online, please click on the following link: http://www.vietnamembassyvisa.org.au/
You will need to complete your details and upload a passport photo and scanned copy of your passport. Your passport photo should have been taken within the last 12 months.
Once you have completed the online form you will be sent an email with details on the visa fees and how to pay. Please note, you will need to pay the listed additional postage fee.
In January 2019 the cost of an adult single entry 1 month visa was AUD $99 and a multiple entry visa AUD $140. The postage fee is in addition to this.
Once you have paid and your visa has been processed, you will receive the visa in the mail. In our experience they have always been quick and helpful and it is a simple process.
If you would like to apply for your visa via post click here for instructions and more information.
Important Information in relation to Vietnam Visa Approval letters
We do not approve of or support 3rd party Vietnam Approval Letters for the following reason:
- Vietnam Approval Letters are NOT Vietnam Visas.
- There have been many reports of fake letters and fake companies providing letters. The Vietnam Embassy have issued warnings in this regard.
- Even if you get a genuine letter on arrival in Vietnam you have to take your letter to a counter, queue up (sometimes for as long as an hour), pay a fee and get your Visa BEFORE you can pass through immigration – this can cause quite long delays at a time you would not want one.
- We recommend that you obtain your Vietnam Visa either online or through the Vietnam Embassy in Canberra or the Vietnam Consulate in Sydney prior to departure.
- Should you urgently need a letter and for some reason cannot obtain a visa prior to departure such as due to short notice, our colleagues in Vietnam can obtain a legitimate approval letter for you, but you will of course still have to go through the queue process on arrival in Vietnam.
If you decide to go to a 3rd party to obtain a Vietnam Visa letter we cannot take any responsibility for the consequences should you not be able to gain entry to Vietnam or experience delays.
The currency used in Vietnam is the Vietnamese Dong.
What currency to take over there is a personal choice. Some people prefer to take US$ cash as a backup whilst others prefer to take AUD$ cash – it depends on what you are comfortable with. There are ATM machines readily available in Vietnam. Occasionally the older ATM's do not accept Australian debit cards and you may need to try a different ATM.
From our personal experience we found the best exchange rate was on taking AUD into a bank and exchanging for dong. Please keep in mind that banks are closed on weekends.
Bank fees are around $10 each time you withdraw cash at an ATM and the maximum you can withdraw at any one time is 3,000,000 dong (approximately $175 as at March 2018). It is likely you would need to withdraw a few times over your holiday depending on your needs.
We recommend letting your bank know that you will be using your card in Vietnam to avoid them freezing any 'suspicious' activity.
Tipping and Tour Guides:
Tipping is entirely at your discretion.
In response to some customers questions here are a few guidelines:
It is usual to tip the guides, drivers, porters and waiters.
Tipping is not necessary for taxis or for cheaper restaurants. Remember, it’s a good idea to check if service charges are included in your restaurant bill. If not, a tip of 10% of the total bill is normal.
Below are a few general guidelines to support you with tipping, however please be aware that tipping is a sign of gratification for good service, and therefore view the guidelines as the middle ground, which can be adjusted depending on the level of service you feel you have received.
- Guides: USD 3-5 per person per day
- Drivers: USD 2-3 per person per day
You may wish to check if you will have the same guide and driver for the duration of your time in one location and tip them on your last day with them.
Tipping tip: It can be handy to have small notes for tipping.
Travelbay recommends you check with your doctor as to any immunisations that you may require or that are recommended for your travels. Alternatively, you can visit The Travel Doctor or Travelvax for more information.
The temperatures in Sapa are cooler than the rest of Vietnam year round due to its altitude at 1,500m above sea level (humidity of around 85% is constant year round also). Aside from the winter months Dec-Jan) where the temperatures can be cooler, sitting only a few degrees North of the equator, the temperatures are fairly similar all year round, 25-33 degrees Celsius during the day.
Wet season: Summer (June to August).
Vietnam is a popular destination all year round. The peak seasons for travel are from November to March and July to August.
The Lunar/Chinese New Year is a time when Vietnam all but comes to a standstill. Most people go home to their families and travel during this time is not recommended. The dates for the New Year change each year but usually it is in late January to February. Please note – we do not sell tours nor recommend travelling during this time.
Other dates to note include the following:
- 24 April: Huna King Commemoration Day – this is celebrated in the Ninh Binh Province only
- 30 April: Reunification Day – This day commemorates the soldiers who died in war during the 1800s and 1900s.
- 2 September: National Independence Day – There are celebrations and fireworks in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
- 4 October: Mid-Autumn Festival – Adults and children take to the streets to celebrate and float lanterns in the rivers and lakes. The Old Quarter in Hanoi and the Old Town of Hoi An are generally crowded.
- 31 December – New Year’s Eve – January 1 is a public holiday and many people celebrate.
Population: 93.5 million
Predominant religion: 81% of the population has no religion followed by 9% Buddhist
Some interesting facts:
Fansipan Mountain is the highest peak in Indochina and can be seen from the town of Sapa.
The mountain pass of Tram Ton passes between Sapa and Lai Chau and at 2,000m is the highest mountain pass in Vietnam.
Sapa is one of the few places in Vietnam that sees snow. It is home to a large variety of wild flowers including immortal flowers that live forever.
Combine this tour with one of our other tours to Vietnam
More Travelbay Sapa & Vietnam Tours:
Terms & Conditions
Upon purchase of your tour online you will immediately receive a receipt and order confirmation. Travelbay will contact the tour operator to confirm availability for all accommodation and transportation for your tour.
As soon as we have confirmed the dates (usually within 48 hours sometimes a little longer at weekends) we will email you your booking confirmation.
We will request further information from you to ensure that all your personal preferences are taken care of. This will include details such as your accommodation preferences, dietary requests, allergies, health issues, emergency contact and any special requirements. We will also request copies of the passport for each traveller.
It is important to note your dates are only confirmed once we have been in touch with you to confirm availability. Therefore, please wait on purchasing your international flights until you have received a booking confirmation from us. In the unlikely event that there is no availability on your chosen date we will offer you alternate dates. If these do not suit we will fully refund your payment.
- Quoted prices are per person.
- Booking valid for selected and booked travel dates.
- Please book at least 30 days prior to your desired date of travel.
- Bookings are subject to availability.
- Child prices: Please ask us for a quote.
- Minimum group size is 2.
- Maximum group size is 10. Please contact us if your group is larger than 10 people.
- The listed "Price per person ~ single room" relates to having your own room for the tour (with a minimum of 2 people on the tour). If you are a single traveller, please contact us for a single traveller price.
- If you would like to arrive before the start of tour or leave later and require extra nights’ accommodation, please contact us and we can arrange it for you at very reasonable rates.
- Prior to completion of your booking we take great care to go through all the details together with you until we get everything exactly as you would like it. At that point we confirm your booking and the details and you pay for it. If after payment, you decide to make further changes we will do what we can to accommodate them and will also need to charge an additional $50 administration fee.
- 1 night accommodation in DBL/TWN room.
- Overnight train ride in a quad cabin (You can upgrade to have the cabin to yourself by purchasing the other berths - please contact us for rates).
- 6 meals as per itinerary.
- An English speaking guide throughout the tour.
- Entrance and sightseeing fees as stated in the itinerary.
- All transfers.
- All transport as per itinerary.
- Taxes and service fees.
- International flights.
- Domestic flights.
- Vietnam Visa.
- Meals not outlined in the itinerary.
- Drinks for all meals.
- Tips and gratuities.
- Personal expenses such as telephone, laundry etc.
- Others not indicated in the inclusions.
General Terms & Conditions:
- Your contract with Travelbay commences upon us providing you with a booking confirmation (not upon payment).
- By purchasing this tour you confirm that you have read, understood and agree to these terms and conditions.
- All prices we list are in AUD unless otherwise stated and include GST where payable.
- This package, including any unused portion, cannot be exchanged for other services or cash.
- Some accommodation providers may require that you present a credit card or cash deposit upon check-in to cover any additional expenses that may be incurred during your stay, for example mini-bar. You are responsible for the payment of any such additional expenses.
- Please check baggage allowance prior to travel. The allowance may vary according to the destination, airline, cruise or coach operator. You are responsible for any excess baggage fees.
- Travelbay recommends travel insurance. We would be pleased to provide you with a quote and support you in your insurance needs. Please click here or contact us on 1800 020 020.
- It is your responsibility to ensure you have a valid visa, if required. Please click here for more information on visa requirements.
- Passport and visa regulations can change and it is your responsibility to ensure that you possess the relevant travel documents before you travel. Delays can be experienced in obtaining a passport or visa, so you are advised to apply in plenty of time. We accept no responsibility in any regard in relation to customers who are denied entry to a country because they do not possess the correct travel documents.
- It is also your responsibility to ensure that you hold a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond your date of return. If you hold multiple passports, you may be required to present your passport of residence on departing that country. If you hold a passport for a country to which you are travelling, you may be obliged to produce that passport on entering the country. Accordingly, you could be obliged to carry more than one passport when travelling overseas. You should make your own enquiries in relation to your specific circumstances and requirements.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that all your details are recorded correctly. Any request for a name change after documents have been issued may incur amendment fees or result in the original booking being cancelled and in the case of airlines, the loss of a seat.
- When purchasing flights, cruises and other carriage and travel services, the name on the passport must match the name on the ticket otherwise you may not be able to travel and insurance may be invalid. If, after purchasing products or services but before traveling, any member of your party changes their name you must notify the relevant carrier, or us, immediately so that the necessary changes can be made to your documentation. You may incur a fee.
- Travelbay recommends you check with your doctor as to any immunisations that you may require or that are recommended for your travels. Alternatively, you can visit The Travel Doctor or Travelvax for more information. For those of you who have any medical conditions please also ensure you are fit to travel and have all the medication you need with you. Recommended inoculations for travel may change and you should consult your doctor for current recommendations before you depart. It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet all health entry requirements, obtain recommended inoculations, take all recommended medication, and follow all medical advice in relation to your trip.
- Many but not all suppliers have facilities for people who require assistance. If you have any disabilities or require special assistance, please let us know at the time of booking so we can check if suitable services are available.
- It is your responsibility to review travel prohibitions, warnings, announcements and advisories issued by the relevant government agencies prior to booking travel or departing to international destinations. For Australian travellers, information on conditions in various countries and the level of risk associated with travel to particular international destinations can be found on the Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service website currently located at http://www.smarttraveller.gov.au. For travellers from other countries we recommend you check the travel recommendations of your country.
- By offering reservations for travel-related products or services in relation to particular international destinations, Travelbay does not represent or warrant that travel to such points is advisable or without risk, and Travelbay is not liable for damages or losses that may result from travel to such destinations.
- Travelbay sells tours on behalf of other Suppliers/Tour Operators. We rely on the relevant third party suppliers. Travelbay and the airlines, hotels and other Suppliers providing Services made available on or through this Website are independent parties and are not related parties. To the fullest extent permitted by law, Travelbay is not liable for the acts, errors, omissions, representations, warranties, breaches or negligence of any such Suppliers or for any personal injuries, death, property damage, or other damages or expenses resulting therefrom.
- Whilst we take great care to provide clear and accurate information, there may be occasions where there are inaccuracies or errors. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Travelbay does not guarantee the accuracy of, and disclaims liability for, any errors or other inaccuracies relating to the information, descriptions and activities displayed on this website and in our promotional material.
- All accommodation and hotels are subject to change. If the stated hotel is not available a hotel of a similar standard and location will be booked.
- Hotel ratings displayed on this Website and in our promotional material are intended only as general guidelines, and Travelbay does not guarantee the accuracy of the ratings. Hotel room images are representative only and the actual room occupied may vary in inclusions and décor.
- In some circumstances, some specific products or services as contained on this website and promotional material may not be available due to circumstance beyond our control. In that situation, we will do our best to provide replacement products and / or services of a comparable nature and quality. Travelbay and our respective Suppliers make no guarantees about the availability of specific products and services.
- Subject to relevant laws, if Travelbay merges, sells or otherwise changes control of our business or this Website, we reserve the right, without giving notice or seeking consent, to transfer or assign your Personal Information, content and rights that we have collected from you and any agreements we have made with you.
- Travelbay reserves all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyright in material and/or services provided by us.
If you have any questions please email us 24/7 or call us Monday to Friday on 1800 020 020 to speak with one of our friendly team.
You can start this holiday on any date, pending availability
Please contact us to book